Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Ukraine is in trouble

November 4, 2008

So what gives for today…
Ukraine is in for a rough ride I think. Here in Kyiv, they have just raised the price of the metro and buses 4 and 3 times what it was. For the first time that I have been here it is actually possible to get a Marshroutka for less than the cost of a city bus – crazy! To add the problems, the people have lost confidence in the banks and over the past month people have withdrawn some three and a half billion dollars from banks attempting to buy US dollars, which in turn drove the US dollar up (at one point a few days ago the exchange rate was 7.00 to $1), up from 4.6 in August. They have basically closed the banks or limited people’s withdrawals and the exchange rate has settled at about 6.00 or a bit less. Good for me, my dollar goes a bit further, bad for the average Ukrainian because soon all the prices of products that come from outside of Ukraine will be more expensive.

Because of the world wide recession, steel sales have all but dried up and steel makes up for 40% of Ukraine’s industry exports. So, massive layoffs have occurred; some 20,000 laid off from the steel industry, but country wide half a million people have been laid off. There are all kinds of dire predictions for the future of this nation, but I see it as a chance for Christians to step up and start being Christians, helping those who have lost hope, inviting others to know the hope that we have, blessing others with the blessing that God has granted us.

I know it isn’t easy. I’ve let recent financial concerns rob me of my joy. But God continues to be faithful. God continues to bless. I pray that I will be a reflection of what He is doing for me to others. I am repenting of my faithlessness. I am not looking to capitalist, politicians or philosophers to save me. My one and only savior is Jesus Christ. I pray that I will honor Him in the way I treat others around me, those who need a drink of water, a meal or clothes for their backs. God is able to do immeasurably more than I can think or imagine. I have no real concerns. I have wants, but thus far God continues to meet all our needs in this household.
Praying your day will be filled with opportunities to praise God for his goodness!

In Him,

Alan

No comments: