Saturday, November 3, 2007

Thoughts about Home makers... (Day 3 of 30 Bloggathon)

Category: Life


Okay, where to start...
I spent 22 years in the Navy with my wife mostly staying at home. She had odd jobs, but it wasn't until the last few years of my Naval career that both of us where working regular. But in all that time I pretty much expected my wife to carry the torch when it came to taking care of the house hold chores and such. Oh I vacuumed here and there and did the odd dish and pan, but for the most part it was her job. Well now we live in Kyiv, Ukraine, my wife get's up every morning at 5:00, I make her breakfast, and lunch and send her off to work. I work out of the house. I do my writing on the household computer and run out for the odd mentorship meeting with some of the guys I am training. Now I am not doing all the work, cause we have Emily living with us, but I do a fare share of dish washing. And I must say my appreciation for those people (mostly women) who have stayed home to take care of the house has risen greatly. It is a never ending job that just seems to recreate itself every few hours. Its tedium and messy. Some times its quick, like after lunch, and sometimes its quite lengthy like after a big dinner. So to all you who keep the fires stoked and keep the kitchen clean... Good on ya.

Now this also led me to think about what it was like some 200 years ago, which isn't hard, because many of the villages around here currently aren't much better than turn of the century (19th-20th) were in the US. No running water, outside toilets, Brick stoves for heating and cooking.

So my point is this... could you imagine doing dishes without running water and without detergent. Can you imagine life without disposable sponges and paper towels. Could you imagine trying to clean dishes with a dish rag that hadn't been washed in a week or more. Could you imagine all the food particles and stuff that could accumulate around your kitchen if you didn't get down and scrub the wooden floors regularly. Could you imagine the smell that might be emanating from such a kitchen? Oi!

So that is my blog for the day... just something to think about it and how blessed you are to have all the modern western conveniences!


Have a blessed day
In Him,
Preacher Al

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I didn't know this blog was out there.....I shall return......:)