Saturday, December 20, 2014

Forsaking Fear


The other morning I found myself pondering all the posts I see on FB that are fear based.  Fear for what microwaves do to food, fear about GMO's, fear about what/how the government is taking away our freedoms, fear that they may take away our guns and fear that we may loose our comfortable and easy way of life here in the United States.  As I ponder these things and the mentality of my fellow Christians, I was reminded of the words of Christ where he tells us that we are to take up our crosses daily and die to ourselves.  And he warns us that those unwilling to do so are unworthy of the Kingdom of Heaven.  That is some pretty heavy stuff.

We all have fears.  We fear what people are thinking and saying about us.  We fear the response of our loved ones such that we try to tell them what they want to hear instead of what they need to hear.  We fear the loss of comfort and we fear the loss of income and possessions.  We fear that the world may be coming to the end or that terrorists may attack us again.  I personally can remember fearing commercial aircraft for a while after watching the attack on the twin towers in New York about a hundred times on the TV.

Fear can be a good thing at times as it can helps us to be cautious when in dangerous situations and fear can stimulate the generation of adrenaline which can give us the strength and speed to get out of a potentially deadly situation.  Bur for most of us living in the modern world, away from animals with big teeth and sharp claws fear only paralyzes us and prevents us from living our daily lives.  When fear enters in and we have no outlet (nothing to run from and nothing to fight) it leaves us in agitated state that prevents us from thinking clearly and just leaves us stressed out.

In 1 John 4, the apostle  John writes in verse 28, "There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear; for fear has to do with punishment and whoever fears has not reached perfection in love."

This passage leads me to think that many of us have not reached perfection in love.  We fear loss, we fear pain and we fear separation.  These fears are part of everyday life for people but I also believe they are tools or schemes of the devil.  We are encouraged to not be unaware of the schemes of the devil.  Which means we should not be playing into his hand both rather looking for ways to resist the devil as we submit to God.

The Apostle Paul addresses this in his letter to the Romans in chapter 8 verses 15-16.  "For you did not receive a spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received a spirit of adoption. When we cry, “Abba! Father!”  He is reminding us that the freedom that we have been granted through Christ's death and resurrection has set us free from fear.  When we start posting fearful things on FB or recounting all of our fears, we are becoming slaves to fear.  We are making our fears greater than God's love and mercy.  We are turning our fears into personal idols.  Idols are anything that we give power over us.  Our fear of sickness or our fear of others become idols in our lives.  Proverbs tells us that the fear of others is a snare.  Our fears catch us and prevent us from experiencing the freedom granted to us by Christ and the Holy Spirit of God.

In Matthew 10:28 Jesus warns us, "Do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul; rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell."  That is Jesus' way of telling us to fear God and not worry about the small stuff.  As the saying goes if Jesus is not Lord of all then He is not Lord at all.  We have to put Him first in our lives lest we become slaves again to fear.  This is a lifestyle not just something we acknowledge and then move on the next thing.  We must put God first we must fear him above all else (even though He loves us dearly and Jesus said calls us his friends).

We are no longer to be idol worshipers driven by fear and worry.  We are the Children of God, bathed in the love and mercy of All Mighty God.  We are new creations not designed to live as we once did.  We are recreated in the image of our One True God.  We are heirs of God's love and mercy and his greatness.  We are more than conquerors in his Name.

So I would ask you join me this coming year in refraining from re-posting articles that are inspired to invoke fear or shame or worry in people.  We are not people who are to live by fear.  It's okay to have concerns, but some of the things I read that have been posted by fellow Christians are nothing more than fear mongering.  We are children of the living God, the only thing that we should fear is God himself.  These articles may seem like they are encouraging discretion but to me, in my head, I can almost see people grabbing their heads and running about screaming "Oh My God, what are we going to do??!!!"

Faith transcends fear.  Faith says I trust God to work in all the circumstances of my life.  I trust his Power more than I trust humans and their plans.  Faith says I do not fret about the scheming of evil people, but rather trust in God's sovereignty to be with me.

Now what I am not saying is just wander through life without a care in the world.  Even Christ warned us "to be as wise as serpents and as innocent as doves".  Just don't submit to crazy schemes or walk through life without discernment. Whatever you do, do it as an act of worship unto God.  The world and the enemy work very hard to confuse and abuse us, but when we die to our selfish worries and concerns, we attune our ears and our hearts to the voice of our Master and Savior.

Fear not and be strong and courageous because our Lord has overcome the world.

Blessings, in Jesus Name

Preacher Al

3 comments:

Jesus is my best friend. said...

Love your article - As much as I believe in putting everything in God's hands and He will guide me, I am human and often let my humanness come first. I am a work in progress. We need more articles like this to keep us focused. Thank you! We met you when we came with J & B for the Lithuanian meal at Virginia's. Bless her soul. M

Karen Duffy said...

Good article, Alan. I see many "prepping" for end times. I do not need to hoard water or food. I carry with me Faith. I know my Lord and Savior is and will be with me.

Preacher Al said...

I am so glad to have pleased you with my article. I am trying to be obedient to share what the Holy Spirit is revealing to me. Thought I am sure some part of me finds its way in every article. Please continue to pray for me that I will continue to be obedient to share what God reveals to me in a timely manner