Saturday, November 28, 2009

Blogathon Day 28 2009

I cannot say that I have done a great job keeping up on a daily blog, but this has been encouraging to sit down and right a few words.

Today I spent most of my day in the kitchen helping young Miss Emily as she prepared our belated Thanksgiving day meal for a host of friends. I sure am glad that she has a creative mind when it comes to fixing meals. I am often content with a good ol' peanut butter and banana sandwich. Today we feasted on chicken, ham, green-bean casserole, stuffing, mashed potatoes, potatoes aux gratin, pumpkin pie, cheese-egg-garlic sandwiches and a variety of fresh cut veggies. There were a number of other items on the menu, but we just ran out of time to prepare them all; even with another friend's help. My dear wife was at work on a make-up day for all the days lost to the flu mania here in Ukraine but she was able to join us for the meal after work. I am tired and sore, but am very glad for the day and all the friends who stopped by for a bite to eat.

I guess you could call me a kitchen drudge, cause i wasn't calling any shots. But that puts me in good company. I am reminded of Brother Lawrence who served with joy in the kitchen of some Catholic institute because he practiced the presence of God. He reminded himself that Jesus was there with him no matter what he was doing. I cannot say that I did such a great job of practicing the presence of God, but I do believe He was with me. He empowered me to serve with little complaining and experience the joy of seeing others blessed while I worked.

I pray that you too will find the joy in serving and will say no to complaints and grumbling. Jesus said the greatest among us will be the servant of all. It is a race for the bottom of the heap. What a joy it is to know that as we serve, we emulate the actions our Lord Jesus. Sometimes its good to be a Martha if you are making room for others to be a Mary. I think that was Jesus problem with Martha. She complained that she had worked hard but her sister was getting blessed. Maybe if Martha has seen the joy in serving Jesus, he might have blessed her instead of rebuking her.

Tomorrow brings Sunday and I am bringing the Word again. What a privilege it is to serve the people of our body and bring them encouragement and teaching so that they might be better equipped to be the hands and feet of Jesus in the world. I pray that my example and my words would bless and encourage, so that His Kingdom would come here on earth as it is in Heaven.

May your days be blessed as we enter into the month in which we celebrate and commemorate the birth of our Savior Jesus.

Thanks for reading,
Alan

No comments: